Monday, September 19, 2011

Cherry Tomatoes

I knew nothing about hybrid plants beyond the fact that they existed. I didn't know that unlike dogs breeds that have been breed together, like the pug and the beagle, which can have the next generation breed one pugle with another pugle to become purebred animals, plants genetic structures break down in following generations. So I blithely planted unknown half rotten cherry tomatoes in a broken purple pot I got for free. I planted from seed in late May instead of late February or March when more experienced planters start their seeds inside. They grew spindly plants that have finally born fruit that I'm checking daily hoping and begging that they ripen and taste good so I can cut one and save the seeds for next years growth. The internet sources I have read say that saving your own seeds eventually, if you choose healthy plants with good production, will lead you to have plants uniquely suitable for your garden. Please let all my fuck ups and experiments actually lead to something good for once. I have had only one of my fuck ups lead to something good. I now know how to apologize but the one person I want to be forgiven by won't listen, so hopefully the good that comes out of my garden won't be so painfully earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment